Monday 9 January 2012

there is only one way

"There is only one way to read, which is to browse in libraries and bookshops, picking up books that attract you, reading only those, dropping them when they bore you, skipping the parts that drag - and never, never reading anything because you feel you ought, or because it is part of a trend or movement."



Doris Lessing's preface to The Golden Notebook is wonderful. Her stance on reading, storytelling, critics, and one's own experiences holds a lot of truth. I agree with her every word. There is an excerpt, that would bore most of you, so I wont post, but if I ever become a university english prof, I will start my first lecture with it. Good to keep in mind no? Maybe then I could afford to showcase my books a la above.

No comments:

Post a Comment